Bucking the Sun Pan Pizza
- 3 g. (1 tsp) active dry yeast
- 225 g. (1 c) warm water, 100F degrees
- pinch of sugar or a little honey
- 225 g. (1-1/2 c) Bucking the Sun Pizza Flour
- 70 g. (1/2 c) unbleached white flour
- 9 g. (3 tsp) sea salt
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- medium-coarse blue or yellow cornmeal
- In a large, warmed bowl, dissolve yeast, sugar and water. Wait for bubbles to form.
- In a medium bowl, combine Bucking the Sun Pizza Flour, white flour and salt.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients with a large spatula to form a sticky ball. Cover.
- After the dough begins to expand, about 20 minutes, stretch and fold the dough (inside the bowl) at least 4-5 times. The dough should feel tighter after several folds.
- Lightly oil inside the bowl and coat the dough. Cover. Note: At this point, the development of the dough can be retarded for a few hours or overnight by placing the bowl in the refrigerator and finished later.
- Allow to rise at room temperature for 3-4 hours or until the dough has more than doubled in size.
- Forty minutes before baking, pre-heat oven to the highest temperature with oven rack in the lowest position.
- Spread approx. 1/4 c. olive oil a 17″ x 12″ baking sheet. Dust with cornmeal (optional).
- Gently turn the dough out onto the baking sheet and divide in half. Working with one half at a time, start to flatten the dough from the center, pushing outward. Lift the edges to bring oil under the dough. Allow the dough to rest 10 minutes. Finish stretching each dough to about 12″x 8″ and 1/4″ thick, leaving a rim at the edges. Let rise for 20 minutes or until the dough has expanded and looks puffy.
- Pre-baking: With a fork, make several pricks in the dough excluding the rims. Sprinkle coarse salt and dried rosemary on each dough including the rim. Pre-bake at the highest heat for 6 minutes, until the crust is golden. Remove each pizza crust to a cooling rake. Refrigerate or freeze if finishing the pizzas on another day.
- Add toppings–less is more for achieving a crisp crust! Finish baking each pizza at the highest temperature on a pre-heated pizza stone or baking sheet until the crust is dark-golden brown. About 6 minutes.
Makes two 12″x 8″ pizzas with great crusts!
Find more recipes at www.conservationgrains.com