Flour with a bit of buckwheat
Cookies with a crack of pepper
CG’s Ginger Snaps
- 113 g. (1/2 c or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 188 g. (1 c) evaporated cane sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2-1/2 tbsp peeled, finely grated ginger root
- 85 g. (1/4 c.) molasses
- 1 tsp unflavored rice vinegar or distilled white vinegar
- 5 g. (1 tbsp) ground white pepper
- 4 g. (3/4 tsp) baking soda
- 1 g. (1/4 tsp) baking powder
- 3 g. (1/2 tsp) sea salt
- 1/8 tsp or 2 large pinches ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 300 g. (2 c) Bucking the Sun flour
- In a Cuisinart with fitted with a metal blade, or by hand, mix butter and sugar until well creamed and fluffy.
- Mix in the egg, ginger, molasses, vinegar and white pepper until well blended.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, salt, cloves and cinnamon. Blend well.
- Add Bucking the Sun flour, a half cup at a time. Blend, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and blend until the dough is thoroughly mixed.
- Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator overnight.
Day Two — Remove the bowl of dough from the refrigerator. Pre-heat the oven to 325°.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Lightly dust a rolling pin and work surface with flour.
- Work 1/3 of the dough at a time. With a metal spoon, scoop out dough then form a thick flat slab with your hands. Place it on the floured surface and roll out the dough to 3/8″ thick.
- Cut cookies with a cookie cutter or inverted glass about 2″ in diameter.
- Place the cookies on a lined baking sheet. Allow enough room for the cookies to spread to a 3″ diameter.
- Bake for 14 minutes–do not allow cookies to darken. Move to cooling rack.
Yield: 2 dozen
One Comment Add yours
These are so deliciously spicy!